Carbomer 2020 is a cross-linked polyacrylic acid copolymer. It has long viscous flow property, imparts excellent thickening and suspending capability especially in surfactant systems and forms sparkling clarity gels. Carbomer 2020 has the ability to wet quickly but hydrate slowly, uncoiling at a relatively lower rate. This feature makes it easy to disperse and pump and handle in process due to its low dispersion viscosity before neutralization.
Features and Benefits
- Easy to disperse
- Suitable for surfactant system and high electrolyte rate system
- Excellent performance of stabilizing and suspending insoluble ingredients
- Outstanding clarity
- Clear gels & Hydro-alcoholic gels
- Shampoos and cleaning products
- High electrolyte system (Aloe gels, etc.)
- Typical use 0.2 to 1.5 wt%.
- Dispersions made with Carbomer 2020 may appear to be non-uniform, with visible aggregate particles which may settle into a separate phase when not mixed. In order to achieve a homogeneous dispersion without phase separation, it is recommended to prepare with dispersion with a min polymer concentration of 2% by weight.
- In systems with high concentration of surfactants, neutralization is preferred to be carried out before addition of surfactants. Otherwise the high concentration of surfactants especially catatonics and secondary s urfactants would prevent the uncoiling of the polymer, affecting the viscosity, yield value and clarity of the end product.